Media Free Week is coming up again this Monday. I have been taking this monthly media fast with my husband, David, since 2003. We do this the first full week of the month, Monday-Sunday.
It is an amazing opportunity to take a break from the noise and distraction of the media we consume and produce all month long. Over the years, “media’ has transformed from print, radio, and television as the main focus, to website and cell phone apps. These new technologies have given us so many new opportunities to connect and communicate, but it is also true that much of what is out there sucks away our time, and distracts us from our goals and relationships.
This Media Free Week falls in the middle of a big house project, that has left us sore and tired each day, and has made a mess of the house. I am also coming off of a series of weeks of lots of writing and computer-based work, and have developed a painfullysore neck and back, probably from all of the above.
With all that in mind, I am making the following goals for Media Free Week:
1. Taking a serious break from using my computer for writing and work, and changing my physical writing space to address ergonomic issues and eye strain.
2. Practicing yoga everyday.
3. Spending quality time with David, and my parents, who are coming to visit.
4. Cleaning up the dining room – which is currently the overflow for our kitchen floor refinishing project, so we can all eat together.
5. Drawing a sketch each day, on paper!
Will you join me? Taking a week off of media can be a liberating experience. What can you do with your time instead of sitting in front of the screen?